‘Tis the Season for Road Repair – Stay Safe in Construction Zones
Spring is finally upon us — it’s time for longer days, flowers in bloom, and….well….plenty of road construction to repair those potholes Ol’ Man Winter left behind. Navigating work zones can be tricky business for both workers and motorists as hundreds of fatalities occur annually due to crashes in work zones. It may seem like common sense, but the best way to avoid injuries and stay safe is to stay attentive. We recommend these simple tips when you are driving in and around road construction this spring:
– Allow extra time for your commute through construction zones.
– Keep your eyes on the road but be aware of what’s happening around you.
– Keep your cell phone out of reach (and out of mind) so you can focus your attention on driving.
– Maintain a safe distance between your vehicle and the vehicle in front of you.
– Once in a construction zone, slow down, follow the flagger’s directions, and watch for workers who may be performing duties in close proximity to traffic.