12 Ways to Protect Against Motorcycle Theft
Motorcycles are a tempting steal for would-be thieves. This is because they’re both more accessible and less visible in most parking areas. It’s critical that bike owners exercise a greater amount of caution to protect their vehicle and it’s contents. With that in mind, here are 12 tips from the Motorcycle Safety Foundation to help you avoid being a victim of motorcycle theft:
- Lock your ignition and remove the key. Most bike thefts occur when the ignition is shut off, but not locked.
- Lock the forks or disk brakes with locks that have large, brightly colored tags.
- If traveling with other riders, lock motorcycles together when not in use.
- If riding alone, lock your bike to a secure stationary object that can’t be easily dismantled, such as a light pole.
- Add an audible alarm to your motorcycle
- When traveling and spending the night at a hotel, locate an outdoor security camera and park your bike in the camera’s view. If this is not possible, park your bike close to your room.
- Keep an eye on your bike. When parking at a public event, check your motorcycle periodically, especially immediately after leaving your bike, to make sure there are no suspicious individuals lurking about.
- If parking in a garage, block your bike with automobiles, close the garage door and make sure it is locked.
- Don’t store your title in your bike’s storage compartment, tank bag or saddlebag. The safest place for your title is at home.
- Uniquely mark and then photograph your bike. If thieves take your bike, note its unique markings to law enforcement using the photos you have taken
- Keep your bike registration and insurance identification card on your when you ride.
- Be careful about giving out private information where you live, work or play.
But even the most careful owners can still find their bike and/or its contents stolen or damages. Therefore, it’s always a great idea to be sure that your motorcycle adequately insured and the insurance is up-to-date! If you have any questions about motorcycle or other vehicle insurance, call the friendly professionals at Huntingdon Insurance Group at 215- 942-0616.